Frequently Asked Questions
- What equipment should i bring to the classes and what should i wear?
- All the equipment (mats, blankets, blocks, belts) needed for the classes are available at our studios, but feel free to bring your own yoga mats. We have reserved cupboards for our members so they can leave their own mats in our studio. Yoga is done in bare feet to be more balanced and strong on the yoga mat.
Comfortable, stretchable clothing is suitable for our classes. You don’t want your clothes to be loose fitted as they may get in the way when you’re moving into poses.
- Is there a free trial class?
- |Yoga for Beginners| is the free trial class. This class is specially designed for the beginners to give the basic understanding of yoga through breath and body awareness and gives information on how to practice yoga safely.
The first Yoga for Beginners class you attend is free.
When you decide to become a member you can get the discounted New Client Special Package.
- Where is Izmir Yoga located?
- 1.Enter the Mustafa Münir Birsel street near Alsancak Dokuz Eylül Rektörlüğü,we are at the second street on the right, near Kordon Hotel.
2. On the street across from the Swiss Hotel’s back entrance same street as "Sokak Kahvecisi".
- Can you eat before a yoga class?
- It is not recommended to do yoga on an empty or full stomach. Small snacks can be eaten 15-30 minutes before the class. We recommend that you don’t have large meals at least 1 hour before the class.
- Can I observe a class?
- Observers are not allowed in the class. The yoga sessions should be isolated from the outside world so any stimuli will interrupt the people who are aiming to have a deep yoga practice. Please do not insist on this subject.
- How many times in a week do I have to attend the classes?
- For beginners, our suggestion is that you come to class for at least 2 days a week. Yoga's effects last for 48 hours so do not squeeze your yoga practice in two successive days if you choose 2 days a week. You should do yoga as much as possible, in our opinion.
The more yoga you do, the greater and quicker you will see the effects. Remember to give yourself time to get out of the daily routine, listen to yourself and get in touch with your body.
- How many times do I have to attend the beginners class to go on to the next level?
- First of all, in yoga it really does not matter what level you are in. What matters is the awareness of one’s body and its limits. At the end of the day everyone gets same healing from the poses whether it is an advanced level pose or a beginners pose.
If you do not have any previous experience, we recommend you to regularly attend 2 months of classes before moving on to higher level classes. But if you insist on seeing it for yourself you can attend the higher level classes; however you should consult with the instructors before attending the advanced level classes. Let us respect our body and leave our egos behind and not let our personal goals push our bodies to its limits.
- I workout regularly (pilates, yoga at home, ballet, gym, jogging, fitness, etc.) can i start out from a higher level class?
- Even if you are a licensed athlete, you should start out with beginner level classes. Because with these classes, you will learn yoga terms and poses step by step. We recommend that you do not enter advanced levels without consulting your instructors.
- How experienced are your instructors?
- All instructors have received the Yoga Alliance certified Basic Yoga Teacher Training and continue to develop themselves by undergoing various training programs on the field they are passionate about.
- I am not at all flexible, I cannot even sit cross-legged, can I do yoga?
- Does not matter! This is a situation we frequently encounter because most people have desk jobs. Only 15 minutes of the 90 minute class you are expected to sit cross-legged. In this part, our instructor shows an alternative stance for those who do not feel comfortable in cross-legged position. So, not being able to sit cross-legged is absolutely not an obstacle to your participation in Yoga! On the contrary, you will not be able to believe how comfortable you are going to be in this pose within a few months as that part of your body stretches.
- Who attends the Basic Yoga Training and why?
- Basic Yoga Training can be attended by anyone with at least 6 months of yoga practice. This training lasts for 8 months and but it can also last for a lifetime. People can participate in this training to become a yoga instructor or to practice their own yoga practices more consciously.
- Do we have to attend to the same instructor’s class or can we attend any beginners class?
- We'll update this answer soon.
- Can I take private classes?
- Anyone who wishes can take private classes in Izmir Yoga, their home or in a more corporate setting, contact us for programs and offers.
- Can men do yoga?
- Everyone can do yoga ... Yoga does not notice sex. In fact, most of the world's leading instructors are male.
- How many weeks into my pregnancy can I start pregnancy yoga?
- After completing your 12th week, you can join our lessons after consulting your doctor.